Stash Report December 29, 2013Posted by Pam in KC in Uncategorized.
I had high hopes for finishing the year with 13 yards out this past week and none in bringing my net stash for the year to about 28 yards added. Alas, I have to be satisfied with having added less than 50 yards to my stash, since I discovered the sheet I planned to use for a pink and black quilt was not 100% cotton.
This resulted in a trip to several thrift shops, a recycled fabric shop, Hancocks and Jo-Ann’s and nearly 15 yards of fabric.
I found a sheet that I have a plan for, along with three shirts for the recycling bin. My quest was colors I don’t already have tons of (ok, but I really liked the blue) and it had to have a green or orange tag since those were 75% off. I’m counting it as 9.9 yards of fabric for $5.39.
But I still needed backing. I found a Kona Cotton for the backing which would also work for the binding. The only problem is after the short piece was removed from the bolt the dye lot changed and the 5 yard piece was not going to work for the binding. So, I had to keep looking.
I ended up with the same print that I used in the quilt. The dye lot is slightly off (I did buy the two pieces at least 6 years apart, possibly longer) but I don’t think I’m going to use it for the binding. I’d really like black, but that’s going to be impossible, so I guess I’ll go back and get that pink Kona Cotton when I get it quilted.
Oh — where did all the fabric go this week? Binding for Darhon’s quilt, two sets of pillowcases, the bad sheet, and Syd has started a quilt for her cousin and all the pieces are cut and out of my stash.
So, here’s the last report for the year.
Fabric added since the last report: 14.9 yards
Fabric added year to date: 192.862 yards
Fabric used since the last report: 13.77 yards
Fabric used to date: 150.059 yards
Net stash: -42.803
I just did a quick analysis of my year end stash reports and discovered I have brought 300 yards more into the house than I’ve sewn over the past 5 years. No wonder I’ve had to add a few new storage boxes.
Looking at the list of UFOs I want to finish next year, I only see two maybe three which requires any additional fabric to complete the top. And it looks like I have the backing and binding for most of the quilts that I want to get quilted. So, perhaps next year I’ll be in the black fabric wise.
Hop over to Patchwork Times to see how others did with their stash this year.