jump to navigation

What’s on my Design Wall March 14, 2011

Posted by Pam in KC in Bunny Wallhanging, Colorworks Dresden Plate, designwall, Fun with Bricks, UFO Challenge 2011.
comments closed

There’s all sorts of things hanging about today on my ‘design wall’.  First, I’ve finished the center of the Dresden Plate. It’s UFO #10 which was February’s UFO in Judy’s UFO Challenge.

Then there’s a single block from Fun with Bricks.  This the leader/ender project I started in January.  Last week I got impatient and started working on the quilt so I could mindlessly piece.  I’m currently sewing the light squares to the pairs of bricks.

Not pictured is the border and binding which I cut for both the Dresden Plate quilt and the Dragonfly quilt.  I’ll work on the Dragonfly quilt and Fun with Bricks at this weekend’s sew-in.  With luck I’ll finish the Dragonfly quilt so I can get it quilted in the next week or two.

The big news is that I finished a UFO!

A friend gave me the quilt top (sans border) at a retreat two years ago.  I didn’t know how I was going to finish it, so it sat on my Quilts In Progress list.   I finally decided  I wanted Easter Egg fabric for the border, but couldn’t find any that I liked.  I bet I had a dozen bolts of fabric pulled out trying to find the ‘perfect’ fabric before settling on this light green with tiny white butterflies.  I got my Easter Eggs though — it’s on the back.  You can see a scan of both fabrics here.

I used the Faux Piped Binding technique from TCL Stitches tutorial.  Who knew I would be able to use it so quickly.  I think the tiny bit of purple sets it off nicely.  I’ll get back to you toward the end of the month to see if I substitute this one for this month’s quilt.  I think I tweaked my rules to allow for this….

In the meantime, check out the links at Patchwork Times to see what other quilters are working on this week.

Stash Report March 13, 2011

Posted by Pam in KC in Bunny Wallhanging, Colorworks Dresden Plate, Fun with Bricks, Stash Busting Report.
comments closed

Last night I ran out of gold thread for the Dresden Plate quilt sashings with only a bit over 100″ of stitching left. So, a trip to the store was in order. I pulled out of the driveway and then remembered the little bunny wall hanging that needed a border, so turned around and came back after it. — That explains the purple (backing) and the light green (border). The blue floral American Jane print is a FQ I got by simply walking into my LQS wearing purple on Tuesday.

So, did I get anything done? Well, I finished quilting the rest of the Dresden Plates. They are all attached and I just need to finish sewing down the sashing. Then it will be on to the borders. I know what I want, it’s the how that I’ve been pondering for the last couple of weeks. I think I have it figured out.

One night last week I decided I needed to piece. So, I bumped my leader/ender project up and finished sewing the bricks together. I then cut the squares to go with then and now my leader/ender project is sewing the squares to the bricks. I haven’t reported any of this quilt, so it will all hit the report once the top is completed.

Oh, yes. After getting back from the store I put the borders on the bunny quilt and cut the binding. I’m going to attempt to do a Faux Piped Binding.  I found this tutorial at TLC Stitches.  As soon as I finish making the binding I’ll be back to the finish up the center of the Dresden Plate.

So, here’s the report:

Fabric Added this Week: 2.694 yards
Fabric Added to Date: 8.194 yards

Fabric Used this Week: 1.362 yards
Fabric Used to Date: 29.598 yards

Net Used for 2011: 21.404 yards

Check out how others are doing by following the links over at Patchwork Times.