jump to navigation

Victoria’s Rose June 23, 2011

Posted by Pam in KC in Victoria's Rose.
comments closed

Over the next week or so I’m going to write a bit about each of the quilts I’ve finished.  First up is Victoria’s Rose.

This quilt was started in 2007.  My notes say I finished the top August 1st 2007.  Most of the fabric I purchased at one of the bigger quilt shows here in Kansas City.   I think I purchased two 5 yard bundles.  There was a stripe fabric and a small bright blue calico.  Those fabrics are  still in my stash.

I remember buying the background fabric on a combination shop hop to St Louis and visit to my great-nephew when he was about 6 weeks old.  Additionally I ordered more of the larger print on line for the border.

The pattern is Victoria’s Rose.

I quilted the center on the long arm at Rocking Chair Quilts, then did the borders on my machine here at  home. I just don’t have the control yet to make smooth flowing lines I needed for the borders.

I finished the quilt on June 12th.

Just a Bit Short June 8, 2011

Posted by Pam in KC in Challenges, Victoria's Rose.
comments closed

fortunately I have more fabric.

Well Before Midnight June 7, 2011

Posted by Pam in KC in Challenges, Victoria's Rose.
comments closed

Yes, it’s well before midnight and Victoria’s Rose is now quilted. Whoo Hoo!  Only one more to quilt*.  Of course then there is the binding, thread trimming and labels.

  1. Dragonflies – completed back in early April
  2. Miniature Ohio Star – completed late April
  3. Crossword Puzzle – need to fix (missing letter & fullness), quilt, bind and label
  4. Summertime – completed in May
  5. Neutral Strip Twist – need to bind and label
  6. The Chain Event – need to bind and label
  7. Victoria’s Rose – need to quilt the border, bind and label
  8. BQ2 Peacocks – need to label
  9. Kansas Spirit – need to quilt, bind and label
  10. Ribbon Candy – need to bind and label

* Crossword Puzzle will be quilted in July.

Must Have Lost My Mind March 16, 2011

Posted by Pam in KC in 2011 Mystery Quilt, BQ2, crossword, Dragonflies, Fun with Bricks, OTR, The Chain Event, UFO Challenge 2011, Victoria's Rose.
comments closed

I started off the year with a bang, but here we are a bit over 10 weeks into the new year and I have 3 quilts completely cut out — 2 with the borders!  This is cannot be good for the UFO count.  To further illustrate that I’ve lost my mind, I’m planning on taking all 3 of them with me this weekend to a sew-in.

The bag on the left is Bonnie Hunter’s Fun With Bricks.  This started innocently enough as a leader/ender project in January.  The bag on the right is the Dragonfly quilt.  The middle is a red, white & blue scrappy twin size version of the Mystery Quilt I wrote for the April retreat.

Add to this that my husband has just convinced me that I need to quilt and bind six quilts before the end of June and now I know I have lost my mind. This does not include anything which is on my UFO list or any other project I want to finish sooner than later.  At least four of the quilts are completed tops.

Here they are:

Pattern - BQ2

Quilt #1 – 54 x 70.  I have enough fabric to make a second identical quilt and bind them both in the purple.  I may use the fabric to make the backing.  No idea on the thread color or quilting motif.

Pattern Old Tobacco Road

Quilt # 2 – 70 x 100  When I started the quilt in Purple, Green & Yellow, I was thinking “Mardi Gras” and purchased either 1/2 yard or yard of Mardi Gras frogs.  I may look for some more Mardi Gras fabric for the back.  The purple binding is made and tucked in with the quilt and frogs.

 

Pattern Victoria's Rose

Quilt # 3 – 68 x 86.  I have a  piece of the border fabric left in the stash.  The floral, pink and green fabrics, along with a stripe and a small floral print were part of a bundle.  I found more of the floral on-line, but don’t think I there is enough for the backing.  My spreadsheet says I have ‘binding fabric’.

Oh, my.  I just thought of something.  I really want pillow cases to go with each of these quilts.  Have I mentioned I’ve lost my mind?

 

Pattern - The Chain Event

Quilt #4 – 74 x 88.   I thought I had backing fabric for this quilt top, but when I inventoried my quilts tops and UFOs last year, I discovered I only had binding fabric.

 

Pattern - Disappearing 9-patch Variation

Quilt # 5 – 60 x 76. It’s a variation because I’m not making 9-patches and I’ve changed the size of the pieces.  It just worked better for the size quilt I wanted to make.  Fortunately I have the backing fabric – a great dragonfly print I found on-line and the binding has been cut, just not made.  So, if I finish piecing the top this weekend, this will be the first quilt I get done.

 

Pattern - Crossword Puzzle

Quilt # 6 – size unknown.  The size is unknown because this is still a work in progress.  I have about 1/2 of the letters made.  This one is going to the April quilt retreat.

I think my husband wanted to suggest a 7th quilt, but quickly left the room before I could throw something at him. Good thing I put the following qualifier in my UFO Challenge rules:

There will be occasions when a quilt will need to get moved to the top of the line regardless of the # pulled for the month. In those instances, I’ll either swap the #s if they are on this list, or if the quilt doesn’t have an assigned #, but is on either tab as of January 1, 2011, I’ll substitute it for the current # drawn. After all the goal is to get quilts off the UFO list.